Production/Manufacturing Engineer – Automation & Welding
Friday 8 March 2019
To support the manufacture of the companies existing and new product range through generating effective engineering information/systems/manufacturing processes and facilities in accordance with H&S legislation.
To implement a successful Lean Manufacturing culture, focusing on continual improvement and the elimination/reduction of all wastes by educating the business and removing non-value added waste from the business processes.
Production Engineering Core Tasks
- Responsible for the engineering review of all customer orders, in line with generating/maintaining accurate build specifications and works order information on the companies manufacturing system (through liaison with Sales and Design/Engineering function);
- Responsible for reviewing/approving efficient drawing issue/drawing changes, plus the control of their introduction. Communicate and support drawing issues/changes with production;
- Administration of controlled build and maintaining the accuracy of the companies bills of materials and part locations. Maintain and develop the build process documentation/instructions used in all areas of production;
- Through liaison with production personnel, review, control and implement effective and efficient improvements to engineering specifications, fixtures/tooling, build operations and logistics organisation;
- Provide support to quality assurance/control activities with reference to supplier, customer and internal quality/engineering issues. Liaison and review with suppliers to resolve engineering queries and manufacturing/engineering cost down improvements. Responsible for hands-on analysis, problem-solving and development of all production processes, methods and engineering specifications. Maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of all operations and engineering specifications;
- Development of the cellular manufacturing /flow line/single piece flow principles through each of the product/supply areas, including balancing, simplification, tooling, fixtures, and configuration/ergonomics of workstations;
- People/culture development and training in alignment with new methods/practices being introduced. Encourage and facilitate improvements promoted from the employee teams through the use of Total Quality Management techniques;
- Logistics development through defining/implementing refined parts flow, location organisation and material control processes/Kanban systems. Develop and maintain the practices necessary to achieve excellent housekeeping standards through 5S and Visual Factory;
- Provide mechanical and electrical fault-finding/problem-solving support direct to production cell;
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role and the organisation’s overall business objectives, this may include the training and mentoring of colleagues.
Automation & Welding Specialist Tasks
- Assist with the specification/set-up and commissioning of new robotic welding facilities;
- Responsible for weld facility and making weld and tooling adjustments;
- Control and monitor company automated weld integrity;
- Deliver requirements based on control, systems & procedures of all MIG, MAG, GMAW & TIG welding processes and to provide technical assistance to all associated departments with welding matters;
- Integration & implementation of new processes, and drive improvement activities on existing processes;
- Provide overall direction & control of all MIG/MAG & TIG welding processes, and associated documentation;
- Development & implementation of internal working standards, documentation & performance reports;
- Provide hands-on technical support where required to other members of associated departments;
- Assist in the development & integration of automated/robotic welding processes;
- Implement & control a stock management system/routine of welding spares;
- Assess welding processes for quality, productivity, function & condition;
- Apply knowledge, understanding & abilities into the training of others;
- Support internal & external auditing of welding processes & control;
- Support the manufacturing operations to achieve uptime targets;
- Ensure the automated welding facility meets the requirements of OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001 standards.
Qualifications & experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Robotics/Engineering or 5 years of relevant experience;
- Good understanding of robotic application within a welding process;
- Robotic programming and maintenance preferable;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of Lean/Six Sigma in the manufacturing field preferable;
- Excellent analytical skills combined with good negotiation and conflict management skills with proficiency in computers would be beneficial;
- Welding experience in MIG/MAG preferable;
- Ability to read engineering drawings;
- Completed a recognised Welding certificate, or time served within an automated welding environment preferable.
- Adaptable to accept new changes in the field of production engineering;
- Strong organisation, planning and implementation skills;
- Ability to identify problems and resolve them quickly;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Self-driven with a positive attitude.
The above role offers a competitive salary, healthcare scheme, contributory pension, life insurance, and holiday allowance scheme.
Please send CV and covering letter (including expected package) to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. If you do not hear from us within 28 days of your application, unfortunately, you have been unsuccessful.
All data supplied will be used for recruitment purposes only and will not be shared with third parties.