Engineering & New Product Development Manager
Tuesday 27 August 2019
Structure and lead the Engineering / New Product Development team. Setting and managing objectives of the team and individuals, including support and training. Implementation of the overall and local business strategy to meet the development / improvement manufacturing requirements of the business. Identifying and implementing new technologies and new processes, deploying proven methodologies for the verification of product: D.M.E.D.I or D.M.A.D.V.
Current Life Cycle / Product Support
- Engineering Change Control, including full alignment of all drawing specification details with proven / approved and acceptable / required manufacture specifications where different;
- New / improved plant and equipment assessment / implementation and structuring;
- Welding Standards and Process update and approval;
- Jig and Fixture specification and commercial control of in house and external jigs and fixtures;
- Stakeholder Meeting / Support - Production Cells;
- Maintain company and departmental standards documentation.
New Product Support
- Core structural chassis fabrications. Taking a new design and converting it in to a proven cost effective / on time / quality structured method of manufacture, for smooth hand over to production;
- Project Planning & Tracking;
- R & D Cost Tracking / Reporting;
- Resource planning (R & D and pre plan to Production);
- Responsible for the stage gate process for comprehensive development and structuring of all in house and external fabrication units. Co-ordinate the actions to complete the companies structured / documented / proven validation process.
Main Tasks of Job
- To manage, mentor and coach the Engineering / NPD Team, through structured, defined and agreed standards / procedures, with clear planned versus target management and support. Ensure internal company standards and procedures are developed, audited and complied with. Efficient organisation and utilisation of staff, including compliance with health and safety standards, skills flexibility, training, planning and cover to maintain NPD Engineering output;
- Responsible for overall structured actions to complete the companies stage gate / validation process relevant to: New Product Introduction projects and improvement / re-validation of legacy products projects, including:
- DFM assessment, prototype build, BOM structure, Process, health & safety, tooling / fixtures design / manufacture / prove out (including provision and prove out of associated tools, plant, equipment, programming), process capability prove out, drawing specification improvements / changes, weld standards / procedures / validation, in process and final inspection criteria / requirements, SOP / Work Instructions defined / proven, value stream mapped – value added / non value added time / costs, pre-production prove out, production training and handover.
- Prioritise product development for the redesign of jigs and fixtures outlined in the business strategy;
- Deliver the business strategy for all new chassis fabrications to be prototyped, evaluate Design for Manufacture, feedback to MK Design through Engineering Change, research and development of process to meet the design criterial and fully validated to meet production required outputs:
- Providing a production stable process to be implemented either in-house or for sub-contract manufacture.
- Manage the overall New Product Introduction Process, providing project by project objectives to effectively manage the team output to meet targets and design brief. Manage adherence / recovery to main milestones for each project. Conduct business risk planning and mitigation of risk;
- Explore and implement new process, plant and equipment technologies to improve efficiency and product integrity:
- Organise trials, demonstrations and testing for the evaluation of new welding technology and alternative processing methods;
- Facilitate Design for Manufacture teams to improve processing options for Automation.
- Project manage the implementation of ISO3834 to level 3 accreditation and in preparation to Level 2:
- Integrating all departments into the required controls for sustainable implementation;
- Development of documented procedures and auditable controls.
- Develop and control the Engineering Change process to the Niftylift Standard:
- Facilitate the overall engineering change process through Design, Purchasing, Quality, Production, Production Engineering and Logistics;
- Updating and maintaining drawing control, document maintenance, change closeout procedures and cost tracking.
- Use of LEAN Principles to ensure the team deliver sustainable improvements in process efficiency, standardisation, quality and cost down of projects.
Qualifications & Experience
- Degree qualified in a relevant Engineering Discipline;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in Engineering Management/ Engineering Project Management;
- 2D/3D CAD user experience (ideally Creo Elements/Pro 5.0, AutoCAD 2D and Windchill PDMLink10.0;
- Experience of Robotics and/or other Automated manufacturing methods;
- Jigs/Fixture design experience, preferably within Fabrication and/or Automation;
- Process research and development within a manufacturing environment;
- Broad experience of design, manufacturing, and quality engineering including CAD CAM, metal cutting / forming, fabrication, welding, automation / robotics, CNC milling/turning. and finishing technologies;
- Lean Manufacturing principles and process evaluation experience;
- Project Management experience.
- Can do, task to completion attitude to problem solving;
- Open minded approach to technology and concepts;
- Excellent communicator to all levels of the business;
- Open to develop Team idea’s and listen to process experts;
- Able to challenge pre-conceived ideas to generate open, out of the box thinking.
The above role offers a competitive salary, healthcare scheme, contributory pension, life insurance, and holiday allowance scheme.
Please send CV and covering letter (including expected package) to email@example.com.
Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to all candidates. If you do not hear from us within 28 days of your application, unfortunately, you have been unsuccessful.
All data supplied will be used for recruitment purposes only and will not be shared with third parties.