The Niftylift Monitored Professional Development Scheme (Nifty MPDS) is a structured training programme to develop well-rounded professional engineers who can design safe and efficient products, run projects, and manage teams in industry. The scheme is accredited by the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and supports development towards Chartered and Incorporated Engineer professional registration under the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UKSPEC).
How does the Nifty MPDS work?
Each developing engineer is allocated a senior engineer as a mentor to guide them. The mentor is generally a different person than the developing engineer's line manager in order to provide an objective view on the developing engineer's progress. The Nifty MPDS functions as follows:
- The developing engineer works with their mentor to prepare a plan each quarter and sets out which competences within UKSPEC that they will develop.
- The plan is recorded on the IMechE's Electronic Monitored Professional Development Scheme (eMPDS) website, and the mentor authorises the plan.
- The developing engineer submits any specific evidence to the eMPDS system to support their competence claims and this is assessed by the mentor, who provides feedback.
- Every three months the developing engineer writes a 500 word report to demonstrate their development.
- The report is approved by the mentor and recorded along with any supporting evidence.
- Each year an annual report and review is conducted in the same way.
- The planning process in steps 1 to 6 is repeated until the developing engineer is ready to apply for professional registration.
- When the mentor is satisfied they support the developing engineer to prepare their application.
The typical initial professional development required for Chartered or Incorporated status is normally 3-4 years.
What are we looking for?
Ideal candidates have the following characteristics:
- Ability to be innovative and solve problems.
- Academic rigour.
- Personable approach and a natural aptitude for team work.
- Desire to succeed.
- Good written English and clear presentation skills.
- Studying a mechanical, electrical, integrated engineering, or design related degree.
When can I apply?
The Nifty MPDS is open to Undergraduates and Graduates.
- Applications for one year placements starting in summer 2013 are now closed
- If you are interested in a placement then please apply.
- If you are a graduate and would like to apply for a permanent role then please apply
How do I apply?
If you are interested in joining Niftylift's dynamic product development team, please email your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Niftylift MPDS Application" in the subject.